expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Cycling for freedom

I have to say that moving house has been the biggest money saving idea I have ever done.

I used to travel for 45 mins to do 15 miles.
Now I travel 25 mins to do 3.5 miles.

Seems strange, but in the first I drove, in the second I cycle!

I do still drive, unfortunately I haven't been able to give it up completely quite yet, but it is definitely an ongoing process to reduce how much I drive. On the occasions I end up driving to work due to PURE LAZINESS, I do feel bad as I step out of the car.

And I feel it in my pocket too. Let's run the numbers:

A mile in my car which kicks out a pretty crappy 35mpg costs me 18pence with petrol at its current crazy price of £1.37/ litre

Therefore:
15 miles x 2 x 18p = ~£5.40 near enough

3.5 miles x 2 x 18p = ~£1.25 pretty much

So even if I drove everyday to work I would save (5.40-1.25 = 4.15)

£4.15 x 230 (working days)  = £954.50 PER YEAR!

That's with no cycling whatsoever, so everyday I get in that car I waste £1.25 or £287.50 a year.

Better get on me bike then!

And if you're not impressed by saving a grand a year, just think if I did this for the whole of my career, that's 40-45 years or £40-45 THOUSAND POUNDS.

Even only ten years is £10K, not too shabby I say!

PS: ordered my brewing kit today, will hopefully have my first ale in a few weeks :):)


Loving the cycling shorts! Pic By Nova

No comments:

Post a Comment